What are the symptoms of schizophrenia ?
There are many symptoms of schizophrenia. Not everyone has the same ones. The main symptoms can be put into 2 groups: positive and negative. Positive symptoms are mental disturbances “added” by schizophrenia. Negative symptoms are mental abilities diminished because of schizophrenia.
Positive symptoms include:
- Seeing, hearing, or sensing things that are not there (hallucinations)
- Believing that what other people say is not true (delusions)
- Not trusting others and feeling very suspicious (paranoia)
- Avoiding family and friends and wanting to be alone
Negative symptoms include:
- Being less able to show feelings
- Being less able to speak or think clearly
- Losing an interest in or ability to do tasks or activities